Senior Legal Counsel / Legal Manager is a job title that refers to a senior lawyer who works for an organization or a client and manages the legal affairs of the entity. A Senior Legal Counsel / Legal Manager may have the following responsibilities:
• Providing legal advice and guidance on various matters, such as contracts, compliance, litigation, intellectual property, corporate governance, etc.
• Drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts with internal and external parties, such as suppliers, customers, partners, regulators, etc.
• Ensuring compliance with laws and regulations applicable to the organization or client, such as labour laws, tax laws, environmental laws, etc.
• Overseeing litigation and legal documents related to the organization or client, such as lawsuits, arbitration, mediation, etc.
Representing the organization or client in court or other forums as required
• Managing and supervising legal staff such as junior lawyers, paralegals, legal assistants, etc.
• Developing and implementing legal policies and procedures for the organization or client
• Liaising with external legal counsel as needed
• Keeping abreast of legal developments and trends affecting the organization or client
A Senior Legal Counsel / Legal Manager may have the following qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in law from a recognized university
• Valid license to practice law from the Bar Council of India/State Bar Councils
• Experience in the law field relevant to the organization or client’s industry and sector
• Knowledge of the laws and regulations applicable to the organization or client
• Excellent analytical, research and writing skills
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to work well within a team and independently
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
• Leadership and management skills